Saturday, November 3, 2007

My dad had no style at all: Ranbir Kapoor

Sawariya's Eagerly Awaited Leading Man Ranbir Kpaoor Speaks To Subhash K Jha.

Looking back at the Sawariya experience, what are your feelings?
I'm extremely satisfied and happy. But sad that it's over…also numbed. There's so much happening right now. Things are moving too fast.

I had dreamt of this moment when my first film will be released. And now when it's happening I can't believe it's actually happening. Even though I've finished one film directed by the Grand Master I can't say I don't feel like the newcomerany more.

I can't call myself a good actor until people see my work. I've no clue about how and where I'll be five years from now.

Do you dream a lot?
Dreamers are in constant denial. They won't accept they're dreamers…To me working with Sanjay Leela Bhansali is a dream come true. But I realize in some ways I achieved this dream too easily.

If I had worked outside, and then earned my right to work with one of the country's best filmmakers maybe I'd realize his worth more. Right now, we are more like friends.

And I don't feel I am working with THE Sanjay Leela Bhansali. We share a father-son bonding. He has done for me what my own father would have done, maybe more.

How much have you grown as an actor by working with the country's best?
I've evolved. But I don't have any barometer to judge my growth. I can tell you this. I always aspired to be an actor.

You dad says he used to make faces in front of the mirror as a child, what about you?
Oh, I did other stuff, like sing and dance and enact scenes from my grandfather's films around the house. The conversation around the house always comes around to films. Even if we're discussing Osama Bin Laden we finally bring it around to cinema.

And why not, you belong to the first familyin filmdom?
I'm aware of the responsibility. But I don't think about it all the time.If I did I'd be bogged down and might go into a depression. I know what I've to achieve. I'm driven by my ambition to do my best possible.

I'm the biggest fan of my grandfather (Raj Kapoor) and father (Rishi Kapoor). But I am not that exposed to my great grandfather (Prithviraj Kapoor)'s films, though I've seen his later work like Awara, Mughal-e-Azam and Kal Aaj Aur Kal.

But I've studied my grandfather's films in their minutest details, have watched them repeatedly. I've a huge portrait of his in my bedroom .

It's a collage of his face from all of his films adding up the complete picture. It reminds me of where I come from and where I have to go.

Do you want to get where Raj Saab did?
I want to achieve all of what he did, not just a small fraction. That's how ambitious I am. But my favourite actor is my dad. I love him in Mera Naam Joker, Bobby, Prem Rog and Zamane Ko Dikhana Hai. I've observed him not only on screen but in real life.

He's passionate about everything. Even when he's on the computer he's constantly drumming out a tune. I wish I could do that. My dad and R.D. Burman were buddies. He has a great treasure- chest of musical anecdotes about RD.

Were you much exposed to the filmi mahaul?

Oh, I was allowed to be full filmy. It wasn't that we weren't allowed to go on the sets. It's just that we had a normal routine of school and play. After school my sister and I preferred to play with our friends, then do our tuitions and homework, rather than go on my dad's sets.

I did my schooling in Bombay Scottish till Class 10. Then I did two years in H.R College. Then I went to the School Of Visual Arts in New York and the Lee Strasberg Theatre & Film Institute.

Did you have friends outside the film industry?
All my friends were from within the industry. We've all grown up together and are striving to make a place in the industry, like me. There's Siddharth Anand, Rohit Dhawan, etc.

I've seen a lot of Raj Kapoor in you.
It isn't intentional. I don't cope either my father or grandfather. My grandfather did have a style. But my dad had no style at all. He blended into every character. Yes I did use their scenes as references in Sawariya.

But I didn't copy them. When I see my dad gliding on stage in Karz, I cringe. I'm not even close to being a good dancer. I struggle to dance.

There's a lot of expectation from you.
It's all hype. And I know it'd die down after a while. Of course it does excite me to know people are looking forward to watching me. Even if I am liked in Sawariya they'll say everyone is good in a Sanjay Bhansali creation anyway. So I'll have to prove myself all over again in my next film.

No comments: