Monday, December 10, 2007

Smriti Iraani - Bahu of Kyunki turns aunt

Smriti Z Iraani, the unarguable star on Indian television is busy carving a niche for herself as a multi-tasker. Actor turned producer, already has two of her shows on air - ‘Mere Apne’ (9X) and ‘Virrudh’ (Sony) with her in the main leads. And now the erstwhile Tulsi of ‘Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi’ (Star Plus) will enter ‘Teen Bahuraniyaan’ (Zee) as Vrinda Mausi.

So what made her take up this show? Smriti says, “The team behind ‘Teen Bahuraniyaan’ and I were considering working together. I have worked with the show’s writer Rajesh Joshi before (Rajesh had written several episodes of ‘Kyunki…’). So when the idea of playing Vrinda Mausi was being discussed, I got interested in it.”

She adds, “I like to experiment and experience different things. ‘Teen Bahuraniyaan’ offered me the potential to do that. My character will reunite the family that has fallen apart. It will be a metaphor of Krishna from the epic Mahabharata who did the right things with tact.”

Incidentally, this is her first show outside her production house after she launched Ugraya Entertainment. Quiz her if she is comfortable working with other production houses and she nonchalantly replies, “It is often misconstrued that once an actor turns producer, he stops working with other production houses. My taking up ‘Teen Bahuraniyaan’ breaks that myth. After all, why wouldn’t I take up a character that excites me as an actor?”

Smriti also clears the air about this being her first venture with Zee. “I had played Sita in B R Chopra’s ‘Ramayana’ that was telecast on Zee about four years ago. I was also one of the first participants of the first season of ‘Antakshari’ about 13 years ago. And if your memory goes back even further, I had done an introductory ad of the channel - where I open the door and lead the viewers to the channel. This was one of my first assignments that earned me 800 rupees.”

Smriti will enter the show in tonight’s episode. Incidentally, ‘Teen Bahuraniyaan’ is telecast in the same time slot as ‘Kyunki Saas…’. That apart, Smriti is all set to launch five shows. Quiz her about it and she says, “Wait till the next year…”.

Related Keywords:
Kyunki saas bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi
Smriti
Virrudh

No comments: